Chris King’s newest offering surely isn’t 63-Across, but it’s straight fiiiire. Solve it now here!
Wowie. This was something else. Remarkable. Pretty sure that was fastest themeless solving time I’ve ever logged (3:11), as there was soooo much on my wavelength. Let’s take look at some of the juicy clue/entry combos here:
- 15A: [Completely insane] = APESHIT. This was one of those times that I had just one letter filled in (the P from A PRIORI) and thought to myself, what if this is it…can this please be the right answer because it’d be so amazing in a puzzle…? YUSSSS!
- 16A: [Bars up north?] = O CANADA. Elegant!
- 49A: [Creep’s facial hair] = PORNSTACHE. Getting this helped me crack open the Friday BuzzFeed puzzle, where this entry was 1A! Never actually seen “Orange is the New Black.”
- 6D: [Site with lots of notes about pads?] = AIRBNB. Another cute clue for a fresh entry.
- 26D: [2015 NL winner of the Hank Aaron Award] = BRYCE HARPER. And the NL MVP too–well deserved! I know PuzzleGirl is out there smiling 🙂
On top of all those gems, we’ve got IT’S BEEN REAL, MR MET (woooo!), DUST RAG, PG-RATED, N-SYNC, SAT PREP, RAFFLED (dunno what it is about ??FFLE words but they always catch my fancy), HAMSTRING, FAST-PACED, and the excellent BEERGARITA, though it’s a weird combo. Added note: Not 21…heard from a friend, of course!
All in all, I’m incredibly impressed with this puzzle. Chris’s work continues to become more lively yet even smoother, and as a sucker for freestyles, I’m a huge fan.
- NEWB? I know NEWBIE and NOOB so this felt weird, but I’ll take it. Still got that nice indie vibe.
- I just noticed the juxtaposition of ABBA and N-SYNC as [Band whose name comes from taking the first letter of the first names of its members] and [Band whose name comes from taking the last letter of the first names of its members] respectively. During the solve, I’d felt that the ABBA clue seemed too wordy, and I’m pretty sure I filled in N-SYNC from crossers, so it’s nice to see that this was all for good reason!
- Does anyone actually say the phrase ALIEN TO? I dunno, it feels like a 7-letter partial to me, though I’ve seen it in quite a few puzzles as of late. So that was hands-down my least favorite entry in the puzzle, though ’tis but a minor blemish.
That’s all I’ve got for now–bummer that it’ll be another 5 weeks before another one of Chris’s themelesses appears!
Grid Kid is OUT.